We thoroughly check each answer to a question to provide you with the most correct answers. Found a mistake? Let us know about it through the REPORT button at the bottom of the page.
Of Mice and Men Quiz
1. Who wrote Of Mice and Men?
- William Shakespeare
- John Steinbeck
- Arthur Miller
- Mitch Albom
2. How does Steinbeck portray society in Of mice and men?
- Cruel and unjust
- Cowardly and Confusing
- Sweet and Compassionate
3. Who said this? – “What’s the matter with me? Ain’t I got a right to talk to nobody?”
- Curley’s wife
4. The death of Candy’s dog foreshadows….
- The death of Slim’s puppies
- Lennie’s tragic death
- Lennie killing Curley’s wife
- Crooks’ tragic death
5. Why is George concerned about Lennie taking a long drink of water, in chapter one?
- He is getting his clothes wet
- There are sharks in the water
- The still water may make him sick
- He has dirty hands
6. In which state is Of Mice and Men set?
7. Who said it? – “If I was alone I could live so easy. I could get a job an’ not have no mess.”
- Curley’s wife
8. What caused Lennie to accidentally kill Curley’s wife?
- Her hair barrette poked him and he struck her because it hurt
- He grabbed ahold of her dress and would not let go
- He accidentally crushed her while hugging her
- He panicked when she screamed and shook her to make her stop
9. The first person George and Lennie meet on the ranch is…
- The boss
10. What is the stable buck’s name?
11. What does Crooks spend most of his time doing?
- Talking to Curley’s wife
12. Lennie’s aunt’s name is…
13. What does Slim remind Carlson to take when he leaves the bunkhouse with Candy’s dog?
- the cat
- a flashlight
- a shovel
- a picture of Candy
14. Why do George and Lennie have to leave Weed?
- Lennie was accused of rape
- George was accused of rape
- Lennie killed too many mice
- They were fired
15. What do the men think of Curley’s wife?
- They think she is a “tart”
- They pity her for her marriage to Curley
- They think she married Curley for money
- They suspect she is pregnant
16. What does George tell Lennie before he shoots him?
- He apologizes to him.
- He tells Lennie that he is mad at him.
- He tells Lennie they are going to the ranch.
- He tells Lennie that he will never tend rabbits.
17. Skinner, tall, well-mannered understanding
18. Recently married; wanted to be a movie star
- Curley’s wife
19. In chapter one, Lennie asks George for _____________, which makes George very angry.
- a new house
20. Why does Curley’s wife feel lonely on the ranch?
- She is not allowed to have a life or identity of her own
- She is a “tart” and isn’t happy unless she is causing trouble
- She used to be a movie star and hates ranch life
- Curley always teased her in front of other people
21. Why does Curley hate Lennie?
- Lennie loves his wife
- Lennie killed his dog
- He is jealous of men who are bigger than him
- The boss tells Curley that Lennie is bad news
22. Which of the animals is NOT killed in the story?
- old dog
23. How was George different from a typical ranch worker in the story?
- He stays at each job for over a year
- He lacks experience
- He has a traveling companion
- He has a family
24. When Curley attacks Lennie, what does he initially do?
- weep and cry for help
- he crushes his hand right away
- strangle Curley
- run away
25. George says he and Lennie are different from other ranch hands because they have…?
- more experience
- a dream
- each other
- money saved
26. Who said: “Whatever we ain’t got, that’s what you want. God a’mighty, if I was alone I could live so easy.”
27. Who said: “If I catch any one man, and he’s alone, I get along fine. But just let two of the guys Get together an’ you won’t talk. Jus’ nothing but mad. You’re all scared of each other.”
- Curly’s wife
28. The following is an example of what literary device: “In and out of the beam flies shot like rushing stars.”
29. Slim said, “You hadda, George. I swear you hadda. Come on with me.”
30. At the BEGINNING of chapter 5, Lennie has accidentally killed
- his puppy
- Curley’s wife
- a mouse
- none of the above
31. In chapter 5, we learn that Curley’s wife
- met Curley at the Riverside Dance Palace
- was offered a chance to travel with a group of traveling actors
- met a guy who said he could get her into the movies in Hollywood
- All of these
32. Who comes looking for Lennie at the end of chapter 5?
- Curley’s wife
33. When Lennie is waiting for George which of the following voices does he hear
- his Aunt Clara
- a giant rabbit
- both of these
- none of these
34. Where do George and Slim go at the end of chapter 6?
- back to the ranch
- to a whorehouse
- to get a drink
- to the train station
35. The story begins and ends in the same setting. What is this an example of?
- Parallel Structure
36. What is the effect of hearing the men shouting at a distance (right before George shoots Lennie)?
- To explain the situation
- To create an allusion to society
- To build tension
- To show the reader Lennie is mentally challenged
37. Why will George feel a huge sense of loss at the end? (Aside from losing his BFF)
- He will be no different than all the other migrant workers
- He broke his promise to Aunt Clara
- He will no longer get double pay
- He will have to leave the ranch so he is not sent to jail
38. What is the name of Curley’s wife?
- No name is given
39. According to Curley’s wife, under what condition do the men speak to her?
- When no one else is around
- When Curley is gone
- When she cleans for them
- When she gives them “the eye”
40. Curley’s wife threatens to…
- have Crooks lynched
- have Lennie killed
- have George fired
41. WHO SAID IT? – Nobody ever gets to heaven and nobody ever gets no land.
42. WHO SAID IT???? – Why do you got to get killed? You ain’t so little as mice.
- Aunt Clara
Key Facts to Learn
At one time or another almost all of the characters admitted to having a profound sense of loneliness and isolation.
Each desires the comfort of a friend, but will settle for the attentive ear of a stranger.
The “dream” farm symbolizes a free and peaceful life.
It represents the possibility of freedom, self-reliance, and protection from the cruelties of the world.
-Lennie got kicked in the head by a horse
-The job in Weed was finished
-The bus let them off 10 miles out